The City in Matlosana Local Municipality (formerly City Council of Klerksdorp) is a Category B municipality in the Dr. Kenneth Kaunda District of the North West Province. According to legend, the name "Matlosana" refers to a group of people who help each other move from one area to another. It is bounded to the north by the Ngaka Modiri Molema District, to the south by the Free State Province, to the east by JB Marks, and to the west by Maquassi Hills. It is the smallest of the three municipalities that comprise the district, comprising one-fourth of its total land area.
This municipality is home to the city of Klerksdorp in the North-West Province of South Africa. There are 130 kilometers to the southwest of Johannesburg. The "old town," which was founded in 1837 near the confluence of the Schoonspruit and Vaal rivers. This was the location of the first Boer settlement in the Transvaal. On the opposite bank, the "new town" was established in 1888. Klerksdorp, a significant grain-producing, mining (after 1932, gold and uranium) and industrial center, grew substantially in the second half of the 20th century, with new industrial development and suburban residential growth. The urban population in 2001 was 333,232. The population of the municipality was 352,203.
Article Courtesy of www.sahistory.org.za/place/klerksdorp-matlosana-local-municipality