On the N12, between Potchefstroom and Wolmaransstad.
The first magistrate of the small community that settled on the banks of the Schoonspruit in 1837, Jacob de C’lerq, gave his name to a town founded by twelve Voortrekker families and built by gold mining.
The discovery of gold in 1886 saw thousands of prospectors descending on the quiet rural aggregation of Klerksdorp.
Today, Klerksdorp is the centre for a large mining and agricultural economy and has the second largest grain co-operative in the world.
Old mining shafts dating back to the 18th century, and rock inscriptions of Anglo-Boer War British regiments.
This tin house was imported from Britain and was the home of Jack Scott, the father of modern-day mining in the area.
Interesting tours can be arranged on request.
Margarieta Prinsloo & Lombaard Street, behind Protea Lodge Hotel. The museum also offers Peach Mampoer & Soet Blits liqueurs.
Emotive cemetry for British soldiers and Boer women and children who died during the Anglo-Boer War of 1899 – 1902.
This walk meanders through 11km in the old part of town, passing the early homes of Voortrekker families. Remains of pre-historic Tswana kraals can also be seen.
Located on the farm Bosworth and now preserved as a national monument.
Built and occupied in 1888 during the gold rush.
This small reserve conserves an interesting eco system where a number of important game species have been introduced, including rhino. 150 bird species are an added attraction. The reserve is located 13km north of Klerksdorp.
Fly fishing for coarse fish is a growing sport in the area.
Contact Rhino Rock Horse Trail and Riding School.
Offers recreational facilities on the Schoonspruit located to the northwest of the city.
The municipal gardens where a variety of indigenous and exotic plants can be seen.
Opened by President Paul Kruger when the line from Krugersdorp reached the town in 1897, Klerksdorp’s first national monument.
Information Courtesy Of www.tourismnorthwest.co.za/klerksdorp